Our February meeting will feature Amy Marquardt, a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Maryland, developed an anti-tarnish coating for silver. Working in collaboration with museums, she developed a coating that is invisible, reversible and protects silver longer than existing plastic coatings. Currently, Ms. Marquardt is working with the National Science Foundation to determine if our technology can be used outside of the laboratory. Since this may be something that could benefit the numismatic community, Ms. Marquardt will join us to discuss coin preservation.
Library Sale: As the club updates the library, we will be selling older, redundant or unnecessary volumes and adding new books. At the February meeting members will have a chance to purchase at a silent auction Canadian coin books that the librarian, in consultation with the Board, has determined are no longer needed. Books will be sold in a silent auction format with a minimum set less then market value. Books being sold this month are as follows:
- Breton, P.N., Illustrated History of Coins and Tokens Relating to Canada (1894)
- Bank of Canada, The Story of Canada’s Currency (1981, in English and French)
- The Canadian NumisLetter Grading Survey Results (Vol. 1, No. 8, April, 1983)
- Canadian Numismatic Association, The Canadian Numismatic Journal, (vol. 25, No. 4)
- Introduction a la Numismatique (Avril, 1980, in French)
- Charlton, Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins, Tokens, and Paper Money (1977, 25th edition)
- Royal Canadian Mint, Heads and Tales – 60th anniversary of the mint 1908-1968 (1968)
- Raymond, W., The Coins and Tokens of Canada (1952, 3rd edition)
DUES: As a reminder, if you have not paid your 2015 MCCC dues, this would be a good time to make sure you are paid up for this year! Membership is still the very low $8 per year and $2 for Young Numismatists, a price that has not changed in many years. MCCC dues help support our education and outreach programs. At 66-cents per meeting, it is the best deal in town! To pay your dues, download our dues form from our Digital Document Library and you can either pay dues at the next meeting or mail your dues to the address on the form.
Inclement Weather Policy: Since the Margaret Schweinhaut Senior Center observes the same cancellation policies as the Montgomery County Public Schools, we will meet as long as MCPS is open. For complete information see our Meetings page.
Doors will open at 7:00 PM and the meeting will start at 7:15 PM SHARP.